Sunday 28 October 2012

Rangitoto and Motutapu islands circumnavigation in a sea kayak

I have started preparing for next year's big paddle from Auckland to Tauranga with Charity Yakkers. Best practice would be to circumnavigate all the major islands around Auckland this summer. It is amazing, when you set your mind on something, your capabilities multiply. Just three weeks ago, my kayaking goal for this summer was to paddle around Rangi. With summer not even started yet, I have accomplished that and have my mind set on bigger, more adventurous multidays paddles.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. I picked my route in such a way that I get a tail wind for atleast half the way back. Unfortunately, on a multiday trip you don't get to chose a nice day and weather. So ability to handle any situation that mother nature throws at you is a must. Now I know I can do a 40 km paddle with minimum fuss, important thing though is to be able to do this everyday for 9 days or longer.

Enjoy the photographic report:

Started at 6:30am. 15 minutes later at Motukorea (Browns Island)

 Emu bay
 Lots of fishos out there in Waiheke channel. I could count more than 200 boats.

 Home bay point
 “When two evil guys fight in a duel, the worst of both will be the winner.”
 Waikalabubu bay gun houses. I don't know if it is allowed, but reckon could be nice place to spend a night.

 I am gonna get you.
 A pod of sea kayakers enjoying the gorgeous day.
 And finally Auckland in the sight.
 The light house at coast guard bay
 


 Heading back towards St. heliers
 Takapuna beach

 Stopped at bean rock for a fish
 Back in St. Heliers at 2:20pm






No comments: